The craft of home cheesemaking is exploding in popularity. Mastering Basic Cheesemaking provides beginners with a complete hands-on guide to making cheese and other fermented dairy products from scratch.
This well-illustrated, clearly written practical guide assumes no prior experience on the part of the aspiring cheese maker. Topics include:
- Understanding your ingredients, tools and techniques
- Whipping up "instant cheeses" such as ricotta and paneer, while learning basic milk chemistry
- Progressing to fermented dairy products such as kefir, yogurt and sour cream
- Using bacteria and coagulant to create spreadable and tender cheeses like quark, chevre, cream cheese and American style cottage cheese
- Graduating to curdled, aged and ripened cheese—mozzarella, feta, cheddar, gouda, and parmesan.
Paperback | 151 pages