Pasta e Fagioli
Pasta e fagioli, meaning "pasta and beans", is a traditional Italian dish. Like many other Italian favorites including pizza and polenta, the dish started as a peasant dish, being composed of inexpensive ingredients.
Serving Size: 4-6
- 1 cup dry cannellini beans, soaked (or 14oz can of cannellini beans)
- 1 cup ditalini pasta or small shelled pasta
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Optional: 1 lb sweet italian sausage or 4 oz pancetta
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 carrot, minced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 (28 oz can) chopped tomatoes
- 4 cups of stock (beef, vegetable, or chicken)
- 2 tsp dry oregano
- 1 tbsp dry basil
- 1-2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp chopped flat leaf parsley
- Freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano
Heat olive oil in a large heavy pot over medium high heat.
Cook onion in oil 2 minutes.
Stir in garlic, celery and carrots and cook for 3 minutes.
If using meat, add and brown crumbled sausage or pancetta. *Optional
Add basil, oregano and red pepper. Toss to coat.
Stir in tomatoes and stock and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes.
If necessary, add an additional cup of stock or water and stir in beans and pasta.
Simmer for 6- 8 minutes or until pasta is tender.
Stir in parsley and serve hot with grated parmigiano reggiano cheese.